Multimodal logistics service to avoid ports around Tokyo
Various major events are frequently held in Tokyo and the metropolitan area. Along with this, congestions occur in the surrounding ports which may have a major impact on the freight lead time. Hence Kuehne + Nagel offers a sea & rail multimodal transportation service that combines ocean and rail transport to avoid the entry to the congested metropolitan area and to enable the smooth acceptance and delivery of imported cargo.
Delivered in 5 days from the date of arrival at Hakata Port to the doors of customers in the Kanto area, the service can handle general cargo of up to 9 tons.
Advantages of the service
- Realize the efficient transportation by rail, avoiding the congested Keihin Ports.
- Avoid price increases for drayage operation due to lack of drivers and long-distance drayage.
- Avoid operations around harbors where congestion is expected due to the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics
Process & Flow
Container used in the service
- 12ft Rail Container: Accept cargo up to 5 tons
- 20ft Rail Container: Accept up to 9 tons, fitting to platform at warehouse
Schedule of Tokyo 2020 Games
- Olympic: Friday, 24th July – Sunday, 9th August 2020
- Paralympic: Tuesday, 25th August – Sunday, 6th September 2020
During the above period, due to traffic restrictions by Tokyo government and traffic congestion, it is expected that there will be huge delay in freight transportation around the Tokyo Port area. Please contact us if you have any concern on this topic.